1. Describe MHC’s strategy in terms of market po- sition. Also, identify the type of external envi- ronment MHC is operating in and the degree to which the strategy matches the environment.
2. Identify the type of structure MHC currently uses in its primary businesses. Describe the fit between the structure and the competitive strategy. Describe any structural adjustments MHC should make to maximize the effectiveness of the strategy.
3. Identify any areas where current management KSAs are not aligned with effective implementation of the competitive strategy.
4. Describe how MHC should go about address- ing the KSA deficiencies you have identified in the previous question. Your answer should be consistent with the mission and values of MHC.
5. Assume that you are the HRD manager and the competitive strategy was given to you prior to its adoption. Using principles and con- cepts from the chapter, what recommendations would you give to the strategic planning team?
6. Given the strategy, what tactical activities can the HR unit in general, and HRD specifically, develop to support the strategy (be sure to include the implementation of the HRIS)? Identify sources of support and sources of resistance to these tactical activities and point out any areas in which collaborating with the OD unit would be advisable.