1. What is the EPA’s role in pesticide use? What are some of their regulations?
2. Discuss pest management methods and their effect on the environment.
3. Briefly research what DDT was used for, why farmers considered it to be a “miracle chemical” and why it was later banned.
4. Explain what integrated pest management is and why it was created.
5. How does the government regulate pesticide use?
6. What effects do pesticides have on our health? How can you protect yourself from exposure?
7. Explain how Silent Spring was influential in raising awareness of the harmful effects of pesticides.
8. Discuss some alternatives to using pesticides as well as natural pesticides. Provide specific examples to support your answer.
9. Do some research to find out what types of common household products contain pesticides. Look around your house to see if you have any of these products. Write about your findings.
10. In your opinion, do you believe that the use of pesticides on foods that we consume has contributed to the increased number of cancer cases today? Support your answer.