Evidence-based Explanations of the Treatment Outcome
Read the following articles from the South University Online Library and the Internet:
- Mitte, K. (2005). Meta-analysis of cognitive-behavioral treatments
for generalized anxiety disorder: A comparison with
pharmacotherapy. Psychological Bulletin, 131(5), 785795.
- Silverman, W. K., Pina, A. A., & Viswesvaran, C. (2008).
Evidence-based psychosocial treatments for phobic and
anxiety disorders in children and adolescents. Journal of
Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology, 37(1), 105130.
These articles focus on the differences in efficacy between theory approaches. It emphasizes the need for research on the directionality and mechanisms of change to move from evidence-based treatments toward evidence-based explanations of the treatment outcome.
Review the articles and create a 2–3 page report in a Microsoft Word document that includes answers to the following questions:
- What are the evidence-based treatments effective in phobic and anxiety disorders in children?
- What are the theories and techniques behind each evidence-based treatment? What mechanisms appear to make the treatment effective?
- How effective is CBT compared to drug therapy in treating GAD?
- What are the strengths of CBT’s as compared to drug therapy? What are its drawbacks?