To successfully prepare for this assessment, you will need to complete these preparatory activities:
- Conduct independent research on the nursing knowledge and skills necessary to interact with health information and patient care technology.
- Focus your research on current resources available through peer-reviewed articles, professional websites, government websites, professional blogs, wiki pages, job boards, et cetera.
- Consult the BSN Program Library Research Guide for help in identifying scholarly and authoritative sources.
- Interview peers in your network who are considered information technology experts.
- Ask them about how information technology advances are impacting patient care at the bedside, at the organizational level, and beyond.
The CNO and HR manager have asked you to include the following headings in your proposal and to be sure to address the bullets underneath each heading:
Nursing Informatics and the Nurse Informaticist
- What is nursing informatics?
- What is the role of the nurse informaticist?
Nurse Informaticists and Other Health Care Organizations
- What is the experience of other health care organizations with nurse informaticists?
- How do these nurse informaticists interact with the rest of the nursing staff and the interdisciplinary team?
Impact of Full Nurse Engagement in Health Care Technology
- How does fully engaging nurses in health care technology impact:
- Patient care?
- Protected health information (security, privacy, and confidentiality)?
- Costs and return on investment?
Opportunities and Challenges
- What are the opportunities and challenges for nurses and the interdisciplinary team with the addition of a nurse informaticist role?
- How can the interdisciplinary team collaborate to improve quality care outcomes through technology?
Summary of Recommendations
- What are 3-4 key takeaways from your proposal about the recommended nurse informaticist role that you want the CNO and the HR manager to remember?
- Written communication: Ensure written communication is free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- Submission length: 4-5 double-spaced pages, in addition to a title page and references page.
- Font: Times New Roman, 12 point.
- Citations and References: Cite a minimum of 3 current scholarly and/or authoritative sources to support your ideas. In addition, cite a minimum of 1 current professional blog or website to support your central ideas. Current means no more than five years old.
- APA formatting: Be sure to follow APA formatting and style guidelines for citations and references. For an APA refresher, consult the APA Style and Format page on Campus.