How actively are fathers participating in the births of their children these days?
How actively are fathers participating in the births of their children these days? Find out by carrying out an interview project. Identify two first-time, expectant fathers and two fathers of children under the age of 2 (Total of 4 interviewees). Interview these men using the following sets of questions:
• What are your feelings about becoming a father?
• How have you been involved in your partner’s pregnancy?
• What part will you play in your child’s birth? What part would you like to play?
• What do you think being a “good father” means?
• How will having a child change your life?
• What part did you play in the birth(s) of your child (children)? What were your feelings about this experience?
• What are the three biggest challenges you face as a father?
• What do you think a “good father” is?
• How has having a child changed your life?
• What advice would you give a new father?
Write a brief report indicating what you were trying to find out, describe your sample and how you interviewed the fathers and soon-to-be fathers, and then summarize similarities and differences between the two pairs of men. Relate what you learn to material on fathers’ participation in childbirth from the text.