Export controls place restrictions on the export of software and technology in the USA and they play a significant role in foreign policy and national security. Imagine that you are a CIO at a U.S.-based international shoe manufacturing company. You are ready to make the change to a geographically distributed cloud-based computing model, but have some reservations as they relate to security, policy, and redundancy. Your primary goal is to address these issues as you maintain redundant services with 99.999% availability to your international Web customers, retailers, and manufacturing operations. It has been recommended that you read “Addressing Export Control in the Age of Cloud Computing”, located at http://www.brookings.edu/~/media/research/files/papers/2011/7/25%20cloud%20computing%20villasenor/0725_cloud_computing_villasenor.
Write a five to seven (5-7) page paper in which you:
1. Describe the policy questions and issues your company might face.
2. Describe the cloud-based services that you would likely select to afford the services noted above.
3. Specify and defend the:
a) security reasons for your selection.
b) policy reasons for your selection.
c) redundancy reasons for your selection.
4. Analyze the extent that export controls play in your cloud-based solution.
5. Create a graphic rendering of your proposed solution using Visio or an equivalent such as Open Project, Dia, or OpenOffice. Note: The graphically depicted solution is not included in the required page length.
6. Use at least three (3) quality resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and similar Websites do not qualify as quality resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
· Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
· Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
· Include charts or diagrams created in Excel, Visio, MS Project, or one of their equivalents such as Open Project, Dia, and OpenOffice. The completed diagrams / charts must be imported into the Word document before the paper is submitted.