In Chapter 3, you were presented with four language acquisition theories: behaviorist, active construction of a grammar, connectionist, and social interaction theories. For this discussion, you will first select one of the theories and explain its main components in a graphic organizer. The recommended website, Holt Interactive Graphic Organizers (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site., offers digital graphic organizers to help you with the creation of your graphic organizer, or you can use the graphs/charts feature in Microsoft Word. You will then compare and contrast your chosen theory with the other theories listed above, highlighting the major similarities and differences.
The graphic organizer you create for the theory you choose should include:
- The main theorist associated with the theory
- A summary of what the theory states
- Evidence supporting the theory
- Evidence against the theory
In your compare/contrast analysis of the theory, include the following:
- Similarities to other theories
- Differences from other theories
Refer to Chapter 3 of the text, additional resources, and your own insights. Remember that your graphic organizer needs to contain an APA citation for any source used, including the textbook. Your discussion post title should be the same as your chosen theory. The body of your post should consist of your compare/contrast analysis.
Textbook: Making Meaning Making Sense by Terry Piper
Our classrooms are filled with students who come from diverse backgrounds. When we get to know our students and their families, we strengthen the home-school connection, which research has reported leads to increased student achievement. Using information gained the textbook readings and the required article, Can Preschool Children be Taught a Second Language? http://www.earlychildhoodnews.com/earlychildhood/article_view.aspx?ArticleId=60, explain strategies that effectively support students who are learning a second language. You can use the textbook and the recommended article, Responding to Linguistic and Cultural Diversity https://www.naeyc.org/sites/default/files/globally-shared/downloads/PDFs/resources/position-statements/diversity.pdf to support your discussion.
Your 300-350 word post should be formatted to include the following in order:
- Three ways to support children learning a second language in the classroom
- Two ways to support the families of children learning a second language
- One example of a resource you can use to help plan for children learning a second language, with a summary and justification of your choice
- One question you still have about learning a second language
Refer to Chapter 4 of the text and additional resources, and draw from your own insights. Citations must be properly formatted in APA style.