Practice: The Constitutional Convention
· Review information from the Lowi/Ginsberg textbook and the Web on Shays’ Rebellion.
· Compose a short paper discussing the principal events and factors responsible for the decision to call a constitutional convention in Philadelphia in 1787.
What You Turn In
· Your essay should be approximately 1 page in length. Use 1″ margins and a 12-point font.
· The first paragraph of your essay should contain a thesis statement in which you clearly present the argument you want to make in the essay.
· Any direct quotations from your textbook can simply be cited as (Author, Page Number).
· Any quotations from outside sources require full citations, including author, title, publisher, date of publication, and page number. If you’re citing information found on a Web site, provide the complete URL, author if known, page number if applicable, and date you visited the site.
Hints and Tips
· Think about the political events responsible for the economic problems being experienced by the farmers in western Massachusetts and elsewhere.
· Consider why Shays’ Rebellion might have seemed so frightening to the framers of the Constitution, as evident in Madison’s comments in Federalist No. 10.