SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING
COMPETENCIES ADDRESSED IN THIS ASSIGNMENT
- Competency 2: Apply cultural competence.
- Competency 3: Apply the elements of recovery and mitigation.
- Competency 5: Explain the impact of the media on public perception about disaster relief efforts.
- Competency 6: Communicate effectively with diverse populations.
In this course, we have explored the many roles of the emergency manager. For emergency managers to be effective, they need to have information available to them. Some of the information an emergency manager requires may come from scientists and engineers. Scientists and engineers conduct vast research to gather information that can make positive contributions to the field of emergency management. A good emergency manager will keep up on the latest innovations and research taking place to effectively perform their job. Remember, there are many types of scientists and engineers, from a multitude of fields, who can contribute meaningful research for emergency managers to consider.
For this assignment, imagine you are an emergency planner. You have been asked to review the scenario in the Science and Engineering interactive media piece (given in the resources) and submit an e-mail memorandum to the town manager. Remember that since this is in memo form, it can be less formal than a research paper, but still must fully address the required prompts.In your memo:
- Explain how science and engineering can assist in mitigating three issues addressed in the scenario.
- Detail how mitigating the identified issues will assist during the recovery phase.
- Determine two ways the media can create a positive public perception of disaster relief efforts.
- Predict how the science and engineering techniques you identified will assist all segments of the population.
Your paper should meet the following requirements:
- Written communication: Must be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- Resources and citations: Format according to current APA style and formatting guidelines.
- Length of paper: 1â€“2 typed, double-spaced pages, not including the title page or the references page.
- References: A minimum of two references.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.
You are required to submit your paper to Turnitin. Once you review your results and make any needed changes, submit your paper for grading.Note: Your instructor may also use the Writing Feedback Tool to provide feedback on your writing. In the tool, click the linked resources for helpful writing information.
- Science and Engineering Scoring Guide.
- APA Style and Format.
- Capella Online Writing Center.
- Community of Excellence.
- Criminal Justice Undergraduate Library Research Guide.
- Smarthinking Tutoring.
- Submit an Assignment.
- Writing Feedback Tool.
- APA Template [DOCX].
- Science and Engineering | Transcript.