LP10 Assignment: Gangs in Your State
Interview of an investigator or gang unit officer to learn more about the prison gangs in your state. Some of these investigators may refer to the known prison gangs as a “Threat Group.”
- Contact the prison system in your state. Tell the person you speak with that you are a Criminal Justice student taking a class on street gangs, and ask them to connect you with an investigator or gang unit officer to arrange an interview.
- If you have trouble getting connected with the investigator or gang unit officer, ask your instructor for assistance.
In your interview, ask for the following information:
- What are the known prison gangs (or “Threat Groups”) in your state?
- Who does each group associate with on the national level (i.e., Bloods, Crips, Nortenos, Surenos, White Supremacy groups, motorcycle gangs, Mexican Mafia, Asian gangs)?
- What percentage of the total prison population is tied to a prison gang?
- Who are the rivals for each gang? Who does each gang work with?
- What kind of training does a correctional officer go through to learn how to identify gangs in their prison?
In a Word document, write report of your interview (including date, time, and manner of interview, whether by phone, email, or in person).