Planning Oral Briefings
Week 10 Discussion 1
- Assume the governor has asked you to present an oral briefing on a controversial environmental program to a board of commissioners of a major county in the state. Three of the nine commissioners oppose the program and have experts on their staff who generally accompany them to meetings. Recommend three actions to take before the briefing and two key actions as you present the recommendation. Provide reasons to support your response.
- Discuss at least two possible advantages and two possible disadvantages to using graphics and charts in oral briefings. Discuss the implications of these advantages and disadvantages to the one responsible for communicating public policy. Provide an example to support your response.
Week 10 Discussion 2
- From the e-Activity, compare and contrast the issues discussed in two briefings you selected. Take a position on which oral briefing closely matches your preferred style of communicating policy. Provide reasons to support your response.
Week 10 eActivity
- Go to the White House Website, located at www.whitehouse.gov, and perform a search on briefings. Review briefings from the Briefing Room and Press Briefings, and select two briefings published in the last 12 months. Be prepared to discuss.
Assignment 5: The Executive Summary
Due Week 10 and worth 200 points
- Research any of following Websites as you prepare this assignment: Governmental Accounting Office, located at www.gao.gov , www.publicagenda.org: RAND Corporation, located at http://www.rand.org/; Policy Library, located at http://www.policylibrary.com/; American Enterprise Institute, located at http://www.aei.org; Cato Institute, located at http://www.cato.org; Economic Policy Institute, located at http://www.epi.org/; The Heritage Foundation, located at http://www.heritage.org; or other.
Use the policy you selected from Assignment 2 (Demonstration Exercise 1 located at the end of Chapter 3) to research a published study related to your chosen area of focus. Then, prepare an Executive Summary with the criteria listed for this assignment.
Write a five to six (5-6) page paper in which you:
(Note: Refer to Appendix 2: The Executive Summary for all criterions)
- Establish the purpose(s) of the executive summary.
- Provide the background to the issue.
- Discuss the results of the research, identifying the models used to obtain the results.
- Provide available federal data.
- Discuss appropriate economic predictors.
- Propose at least three (3) reliable, implementable recommendations.
- Include at least two (2) peer-reviewed references (no more than five  years old) from material outside the textbook to support your views. Note: Appropriate peer-reviewed references include scholarly articles and governmental Websites. Do not use open source Websites such as Wikipedia, Sparknotes.com, Ask.com, and similar Websites are not acceptable resources.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.