For this Discussion Response, read Chapter 4 of your textbook and visit the following website on drug abuse from the National Institute of Health (NIH): http://www.nida.nih.gov/scienceofaddiction/ (Links to an external site.)
Then click on Reply and answer the following questions:
(1) What substances can be defined as “psychoactive drugs?” Does the term “psychoactive drugs” include only illegal drugs? Explain your answer based on material presented in the text.
(2) Give a brief overview, in your own words, of the major categories of psychoactive drugs including stimulants, depressants, narcotics, and hallucinogens.
(3) Describe, in your own words, the differences between “physical dependence” and “psychological dependence.” If a drug has not been found to lead to physical dependency, does that mean it is safe to use? Explain your answer, citing specific examples.
(4) What factors determine if a person will become addicted to a drug? What factors increase the risk of addiction? (See this NIH link (Links to an external site.) for information to assist in answering these questions)
(5) Discuss at least two (2) things that you learned and/or two things that surprised you about psychoactive drugs from your readings &/or the NIH link.
THE LINK TO THE TEXTBOOK AND CHAPTER 4 I tried taking it to that section that will give you the answers. Feel free to move around the pages it is easy to use. Contect on Upper left will give you the chapters and section if you need it. https://cnx.org/contents/Sr8Ev5Og@9.2:fOU1RGxh@9/S…