Submit a 3-5 page essay of your coaching/teaching/other philosophy. Your writing should address self-awareness and your objectives. The essay should demonstrate concise, complete, and logical thinking.
You will be evaluated on your ability to clearly communicate your values and objectives. Please consider the following questions:
- Who am I?
- What is important to me?
- What do I value?
- What in my life has influenced what I value?
- What are my life goals?
- Where will I be in 10 – 15 years?
- What do I believe in? Why?
- What do I need?
- Why do I coach?
- Am I an effective coach/teacher?
- Am I unhappy? Am I happy? Why?
- How do you feel about self-disclosure?
- What type of situations are the most difficult for you to remain true to your coaching objectives? Why?
- Am I coaching for the right reasons?
- Do I believe in fun or work at practices?
- Do I believe in structured or unstructured practices?
- Do I have tolerance for non-conforming athletes?
- Do I have tolerance for “goof offs”?
- Who votes for captains?
- What do I think about everyone playing versus whoever works hard plays?
- Am I win-centered or athlete-centered?
- How do you prioritize athletics and academics?
- How do you communicate with officials?
- How do you establish team rules?
- What type of communication do you have with your players, your assistant coaches, parents, and administrators?