The purpose of this assignment is to gain experience creating visuals using the data for the topic you selected in Week 2. Use statistical reasoning and mathematical modeling to show central tendency and two-variable analyses, including regression with equation and R2 value.
Watch How to Create Trendlines and Scatterplots in Excel®.
Watch Lynda.com® Video: Adding Trendlines to Charts. This video can be accessed under Student Materials on the right side of the screen.
Watch Lynda.com® Videos: Creating Pie Charts, Histograms, & Box-and-Whisker Plots. This video can be accessed under Student Materials on the right side of the screen.
Create at least three visuals.
- One visual must be a scatterplot with trend line, equation and R2 value.
- Two of the remaining required visuals can be a histogram, box and whisker plot, or pie chart.
- Please note that the data sets include data that will not be needed to create your visuals. Quantitative reasoning requires critical thinking to decide what data is necessary.
Create a Word document that includes your three visuals and the following items:
- Title of your project and the scenario you are addressing
- Brief description of each visual (15 to 50 words)
- Consider including the following for each visual when applicable:
- A chart title that is appropriate for the data
- A descriptive x-axis label
- A descriptive y-axis label
- For your xy scatterplot, make at least one prediction using the trendline equation for some date into the future. How confident are you in this prediction? State your prediction and provide justification (50 to 150 words).
- If you created a box and whisker plot, describe the central tendency of the values. What does this tell you about the data and about your project?
- Calculate the mean of the sample data.
Here’s the data that I used for my week two signature assignment.
2004 90001 37412
2005 90001 39841
2006 90001 40123
2007 90001 43122
2008 90001 44125
2009 90001 51229
2010 90001 59748
2011 90001 57008
2012 90001 56727
2013 90001 57985
2014 90001 6312
Predicted 2018 Values