Vaccine controversies have occurred since almost 80 years before the terms vaccine and vaccination were introduced, and continue to this day. Despite scientific consensus that recommended vaccines are safe and effective, unsubstantiated scares regarding their safety still occur, resulting in outbreaks and deaths from vaccine-preventable diseases. Please provide your input regarding this subject.
According to the CDC, more than half of all Americans consumed a supplement in 2012. Supplements are common in our culture, and many people think they need to consume a supplement to be healthy. Are supplements safe? In this forum, we will investigate vitamin and mineral supplements.
Using your favorite search engine, find a vitamin and mineral supplement and evaluate it. In your initial forum post, discuss the following:
- What is the cost of these supplements?
- How do the amounts of vitamins and minerals in the product compare with the DRIs, AI, and UL?
- Are the levels of nutrients safe?
- What compounds are included that are not essential nutrients?
- What disclaimers or warnings are made about the product? Does the manufacturer provide scientific evidence to back up their claim?
- How likely is the supplement to improve a person’s health?