I have a discussion board to do. I will post the requirements here. I will be able to assist you with the reading that are required for the discussion. Also, two replies to two other students are required. It’s an easy discussion board.
- Ch. 4 Novel Approach to Politics
- Judt, Ch. 15 American Government ExaminedReader
- Reich, Ch. 15 American Government ExaminedReader
- Parenti, Ch. 15 American Government ExaminedReader
- Braunwarth, 15 American Government ExaminedReader
- Bell, “Why Is It So Hard for Democracy to Deal With Inequality” The New York Times, 02/15/2018. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/02/15/opinion/democracy-inequality-thomas-piketty.html (Links to an external site.)
- Tanner, “Capitalism’s Triumph” The National Review. http://www.nationalreview.com/article/358771/capitalisms-triumph-michael-tanner(Links to an external site.)
To quote your text, Government and politics lie directly at the intersection of the society and the economy. “Free Market” advocates argue that government should stay out of the economy while liberals argue that government regulation is necessary to protect workers, the environment, and to keep the economy functioning smoothly. Further, some are critical of the effects of capitalism on society itself even while we value the ability of a capitalist society to create opportunities, motivate workers, and provide the “goods.”
From the perspective of an ordinary citizen, what would be a benefit of living in either a purely capitalistic or purely socialistic society? Hint: there is no one correct answer to this question. This question is a prompt to allow you to share your knowledge of the assigned materials. All economies are some blend of capitalism and socialism. What are the advantages and disadvantages of either system? What are the inherent trade-offs between these two systems? To what degree should the government be involved in the economy?
Which system do you think the patients on the ward in the Cuckoo’s Nest would prefer? Why?
Recommended length: 2-4 pages double spaced. I’ll be looking for direct references to as many of the assigned materials as possible.
Tips for Success:
– I will be looking for direct references to assigned readings (author and page # citations are adequate).
– Critical thought and clever examples will help your score.
– I recommend composing your content in an offline text editor and then copying and pasting in post. That way you will have an offline copy of all of your hard work!
– You are required to reply to two of your peers in this forum; reply first to those students who have not had a lot of replies. In your replies, provide some thoughtful feedback on their ideas. Don’t forget to complete this requirement of the activity or you will lose points.
|Use of assigned materials||6|
|Replies to classmates||2|