Assignment 2: Evaluating Research
It is important for health psychologists to evaluate the scientific evidence published both in research journals and on the Internet. Using the South University Online Library, locate and read the article “Relationship of Body Mass Index and Psychosocial Factors on Physical Activity in Underserved Adolescent Boys and Girls.”
In 300–400 words, address the quality of the article against the following criteria:
- What was the question being addressed in the article? How was it stated or implied?
- How did the researchers select and assign the participants? Do you think they used an appropriate sampling method? Why or why not?
- Was the methodology clearly stated and relatively easy to follow?
- Did the study provide valid and reliable coefficients for any measures that were used?
- What were the constructs of interest? Were they measured in a way that made sense to you?
- Did the study find any statistically significant results? If so, what were they?
- Were the conclusions drawn supported by the data collected?
Submit your answers in a 2- to 3-page Microsoft Word document.
Name your document SU_PSY4420_W2_A2_LastName_FirstInitial.doc and submit it to the W2: Assignment 2 Dropbox.
Cite any sources using APA format on a separate page.
Kitzman-Ulrich, H., Wilson, D. K., Van Horn, M. L., & Lawman, H. G. (2010). Relationship of body mass index and psychosocial factors on physical activity in underserved adolescent boys and girls. Health Psychology, 29(5), 506-513. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1037/a0020853