Investigate current consumer concerns about the safety and availability of foods and water globally.
Directions: Complete an evaluation of your kitchen’s safety.
1. Conduct a safety review of your kitchen in your house.
Spend some time in your kitchen reviewing the process of how food is handled throughout the kitchen area.
• You could start with the refrigerator. What temperature is it set at? What should it be? When cooking food, do you know what temperature to cook certain items to such as beef, eggs, and leftovers?
• How about hand washing techniques? Do you have hand soap and clean, dry towels by the kitchen sink?
• Be creative with this assignment and complete a full kitchen review.
2. Research online to search for food and kitchen safety tips at www.fda.gov sponsored by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and other credible sites.
3. Submit a two to three page report analyzing your findings and potential corrections you could make according to the criteria on the scoring guide below.
|1.||Report includes a safety review of the student’s kitchen.|
|2.||Report summarizes the process of how food is handled throughout the kitchen area.|
|3.||Report includes information on temperature settings for the refrigerator, and temperature for cooking certain food items such as beef, eggs, and leftovers.|
|4.||Report includes hand washing techniques, hand soap and towels by the kitchen sink, and food and kitchen safety tips.|
|5.||Report is well organized, clear, and concise with correct grammar, punctuation, and spelling, and includes at least two websites as resources.|