The dangers of tobacco use
Please BID Only if you have the textbook: Psychopharmacology 2nd edition, Meyer& Quenzer.
Please follow ALL Instructions to the letter and Cite – Reference work fully.
No Plargiarism Please!!!!
OBJECTIVE 2: EXPLAIN THE PHARMACOKINETICS AND PHARMACODYNAMICS OF THE CNS STIMULANTS CAFFEINE AND TOBACCO.
Caffeine and nicotine are both CNS stimulants yet the pharmacokinetics are substantially different. Caffeine is considered to be relatively innocuous yet is the most widely used CNS stimulant, utilized by over 85% of the world’s population. Nicotine has specific receptors present in the brain. Due to the relatively short half-life, users must constantly use the product otherwise they will suffer significant withdrawal symptoms. Unlike caffeine, however, nicotine is associated with a number of health related illness, including but not limited to emphysema, heart attack and stroke, hypertension, and lung cancer.
- Read Chapter 13 of your textbook by Meyer & Quenzer.
- Go to any reliable website (Center for Disease Control, National Cancer Institute, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute) and gather statistics on tobacco related illness such as lung cancer, stroke, coronary artery disease.
- Write a 2-3 page paper on the dangers of tobacco use.
- To achieve maximum points for content and analysis, the following elements need to be thoroughly addressed:
- A summary of at least scholarly articles you discovered as support for your arguments.
- An academically persuasive argument for the dangers of tobacco use.
- You are encouraged to reference the tutorial and checklist.
- Ensure that you have cited and referenced at least two scholarly sources.
OBJECTIVE 3: EXAMINE SCRIPTURE PASSAGES THAT PLACE DRUG USE WELL OUTSIDE THE REALM OF ACCEPTABLE BEHAVIOR.
WHILE THERE ARE NUMEROUS BIBLE PASSAGES ADMONISHING PEOPLE NOT TO USE ALCOHOL THERE ARE NO DIRECT REFERENCES PROHIBITING DRUGS. THERE ARE, HOWEVER, ADMONITIONS AGAINST THE BEHAVIORS EXHIBITED BY SOMEONE UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF DRUGS. THIS MAKES THE APPLICATION OF SCRIPTURES TO DRUG USE MUCH MORE SUBTLE AND NUANCED. FOR INSTANCE THERE ARE SCRIPTURAL REFERENCES COMMANDING CHRISTIANS TO OBEY CIVIL LAW. MANY ALCOHOLICS/ADDICTS ARE BREAKING CIVIL LAW BY DRIVING WHILE INTOXICATED OR BY PARTICIPATING IN ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES TO GET MONEY TO OBTAIN DRUGS. JUST THE ACT OF OBTAINING MARIJUANA, HEROIN, OR COCAINE IS AGAINST THE LAW. “DOCTOR SHOPPING” FOR LEGAL SUBSTANCES IS ALSO PROHIBITED.
LEARNING ACTIVITY #4: BIBLICAL CORRELATIONS RESPONSE
. READ 1 PETER 2:13, 14; ROMANS 13:12-14; GALATIANS 5:19-21; 1 CORINTHIANS 6:9-11; 1 CORINTHIANS 5:11; 1 THESSALONIANS 5:6-8; 1 PETER 1:13-17; 1 PETER 5:8,9; 1 CORINTHIANS 9:25-27; PROVERBS 4:23; PROVERBS 22:3; 1 CORINTHIANS 15:33; ROMANS 12: 1,2; CORINTHIANS 6, 19,20; 1 TIMOTHY 4:12; MATTHEW 18:6,7; MATTHEW 5:13-16; EPHESIANS 5:11.
. MATCH THESE SCRIPTURAL PASSAGES TO THESE GENERAL AREAS: OBEYING CIVIL LAW, ALTERING ONE’S STATE OF MIND (WHICH THE BIBLE REBUKES), AVOIDING TEMPTATIONS AND EVIL INFLUENCES, HARMING THE BODY, AND SETTING GOOD EXAMPLE AND AVOIDING SINFUL CONDUCT.
. WRITE A ONE-PAGE RESPONSE THAT SUMMARIZES THE CORRELATIONS YOU DISCOVERED.
. APA FORMATTING IS ONLY REQUIRED FOR CITING SOURCES AND REFERENCES.
OBJECTIVE 4: SUMMARIZE SCRIPTURAL PASSAGES RELATING TO DRUG USE / ABUSE / DEPENDENCY AND APPLY THEM TO COUNSELING CLIENTS.
UNLIKE IN SECULAR COUNSELING, CHRISTIAN COUNSELORS WILL OFTEN USE SCRIPTURE IN AN ATTEMPT TO ELICIT CHANGE IN THEIR CLIENTS. IT IS THEREFORE IMPORTANT THAT THE CHRISTIAN COUNSELOR BE FAMILIAR WITH AND COMFORTABLE WITH WHAT VARIOUS SCRIPTURAL PASSAGES SAY ABOUT DRUG ABUSE. AGAIN, SPECK ANALYSIS IS A USEFUL TOOL FOR INTERPRETING THE SCRIPTURES AND HELPING CLIENTS APPLY THESE BIBLICAL PRINCIPLES TO THEIR DAILY LIVES. GALATIANS 5:19-25 AGAIN DEALS WITH BEHAVIORS, MANY OF WHICH ARE ASSOCIATED WITH SUBSTANCE USE. THE LIST IS MORE THAN A MERE PROOF OF WHAT PAUL WROTE EARLIER, FOR BY RAISING THESE PARTICULARS OF CONDUCT, THE APOSTLE ALSO PROVIDES A CHECKLIST FOR MEASURING THE CONDUCT OF THOSE WHO CONSIDER THEMSELVES SPIRITUAL. IF A PERSON’S CONDUCT IS CHARACTERIZED BY THE TRAITS IN THE FIRST LIST, THEN HE OR SHE IS EITHER NOT A BELIEVER OR ELSE A BELIEVER WHO IS NOT BEING LED BY GOD’S SPIRIT.
LEARNING ACTIVITY #5: WK3 CASE STUDY
- READ THE WK3 CASE STUDY PROVIDED IN THE LINK.
- USE A SPECK ANALYSIS TO INTERPRET GALATIANS 5:19-25 IN AN ATTEMPT TO COUNSEL THE SUBSTANCE ABUSE/DEPENDENT CLIENT IN CASE #2 IMA MESS.